Friday, July 8, 2011

What Do You Do with Kale?

They tell me Dr. Oz says you should eat kale. It's good for you.

I agree.

Not only is it good for you. It's just plain good.

I didn't know that until two years ago though. So don't feel bad if you haven't discovered yet. Maybe this is YOUR year of kale discovery.

Let me share with you four great ways how we've begun enjoying kale...LOTS of it!

1. Ripped and tossed into a green salad (remove the stems, use in the next idea) -- that's the easiest way. You don't even know it's there, but you're getting the nutrition just the same. See our twelve green salad.

2. In smoothies -- this is the sweetest idea. A good blender makes wonderful cooling freshing summer snacks so handy & nutritious. Use up the stems from the kale you had in salad, don't throw them out, use it all.
If you can wrap your brain around drinking green, the kale taste is practically "invisible" in a smoothie because fruits like bananas, strawberries etc. camouflage the mild kale flavors. In fact, I freeze kale washed & whole or blended into a puree to toss into our winter smoothies. Fresh, organic summer goodness in winter. Yumm!

3. In stir-fries -- the stems are great here too. I just cut them first and give them a bit more time to cook than the leafy parts which I add a bit later.

4. Do try Kale Krisps if you haven't yet. This is so-o-o-o good. Comments I heard today around the table when I served Kale Krisps were:
"Don't take it all, leave some for me."
"I want some too."
And from our 2 yr old, "Mama, can I have some more cheese." The tenderized kale with cheese was so much easier for her to eat than a green salad!



The Kale Krisps are a nice vegetable to eat with eggs. Some of the boys even made a sandsich with Kale Krisps on their toast and topped with a fried egg. Yummy!


That said, now I'm thinking I better go plant more kale. You all will be wanting more than I can supply??!!

Too bad it took me so long to discover kale, but I'm so glad we did!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh.... kale is so good!

    I personally like mixing it with swiss chard and/or spinach, lightly steaming and tossing with a sprinkle of sea salt and vinegar. Mmmmm... just like Grandma used to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy. I'm gonna try those greens like that too -- I will admit, I have yet to really enjoy chard, but I'm working on it knowing it is so healthy and so easy to grow.

    ReplyDelete