Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fresh Herbs

Would you agree with me that the culinary art is enhanced using fresh herbs? I use a lot of herbs in my cooking both fresh, dried or frozen. Fresh is definitely BEST, but freezing fresh herbs from summer's bounty is second best for winter meals.

Extra herbs can be dried for storage ... or vacuum sealed & frozen. What? You don't have a dehydrator nor a vacuum sealer? Neither do I -- except on my wish list, hehe --


So here's one quick way to freeze extra herbs: place herbs into a sandwich size "Zip-loc" baggie. Zip it closed nearly to the end, insert a drinking straw into the open end and inhale to draw the excess air out of the baggie. Remove straw and seal the baggie all the way. Label the baggie with content & date then toss into the freezer for use at a later date. While this is not a fool-proof method (a vacuum sealer would do a better job) it can work in the interim until the sealer makes it off my wishlist and into my kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is quite a garden!!!! Beautiful!!!

    I have been drying my herbs just because I freeze so much of other things. I keep thinking what if we can't use the freezers... I would be in trouble. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right. I agree Marci, dehydrating does have a place. Sadly my dehydrator died last year so it too is back on my wishlist (this time American Harvest brand). Again in the interim, I'm planning on using the hot sunny south side of my home and my oven at a low temp.

    I'm hoping that will work for this year ... setting up a new farm without debt takes a lot of money, patience to wait until there is more money, wisdom to decide where to prioritize any available funds, let's not neglect to mention more patience and the all important proverbial & literal "sweat equity".

    ReplyDelete