Saturday, July 11, 2009

Markmann Meals

Thanks to Carolyn for this delicious guest post:

Yum, yum. Delicious.

I wanted to share with you what I did with my "greens"...

Throw in a big bowl a handful of each of the beet greens, baby lettuce and spinach.
Chop up a sweet, crisp apple (I used Gala 'cause that's what was in my fridge)
Chop up a green onion or two
Add some hard-boiled yummy fresh Klasse Woods egg
Top with your favourite organic dressing (I used Italian-Roasted Red Pepper I had languishing in my fridge, just waiting for something special):




Ooooo... can't you see the goodness?



Anyways, a slice of whole-grain toast, and it was a deeeeeelicious lunch!!! :)



I also wanted to share what I did with my Johnny Jump-Ups and rhubarb last week. I felt the need to make a cake.

Johnny's Rhubarb Cake

1/4 c vegetable oil (I used canola)
1/2 c. white sugar
1 egg (or egg replacer if making vegan)
1 tsp soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 c. pastry flour
1/2 c. quick oats
1 c. buttermilk OR 1 c. sweet milk with 1 tbsp vinegar OR 1 c. milk replacement with 1 tbsp vinegar

Mix all the ingredients on high for 2 minutes or until smooth. VERY gently fold in:

3/4 c. chopped rhubarb
handful of Johnny Jump Up flowers, carefully washed and spun dry (about 1/3 cup)

Try not to mush the flowers.

Pour into greased 8x8 pan. Sprinkle top with 1/3 cup brown sugar. Bake at 350F for about 20-25 minutes or until cake tester come out clean.

Best if eaten same day.

It's nice because you get the crunchy brown sugar topping, the tartness of the rhubarb, and the unique flavour of the flowers and certainly the novelty of finding these little "treasures" as you cut into your cake!




Edit note: Please feel free to share your great ideas too. I know someone had mentioned to Ken at pick-up last week that they had made a delicious sounding sorbet from the rhubarb ... please share?! We can all use a fresh infusion of culinary ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I was the lady who made sorbet. I used this recipe: http://kitchenparade.com/2005/05/rhubarb-sorbet.php
    I actually didn't have enough rhubarb since I had made muffins too so I ended up with 2/3 rhubarb and 1/3 frozen strawberries.

    The sorbet is tart and refreshing on a hot day--and there is no dairy in it if you have dietary concerns.

    Jennifer Whidden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link Jen!! Can I borrow your ice cream maker???

    ReplyDelete