Friday, July 3, 2009

Salad Greens & Soup Fixin's


Some of you have asked what the little greens with the red veins & roots are ... they are baby beet leaves - Yes, later you'll be getting the beets themselves.

For now, we're thinning our patch and sharing the greens with you. Beet greens are great in salads and super in soups. If you find that you're not able to use them all in a week, consider freezing them for winter use in soups.

My sister-in-love has a great Mennonite, ethnic soup recipe called "Summa Borscht" (or summer soup) that uses beet leaves as well as chives, spinach & sorrel (hopefully next year @ Klasse Woods).

Her recipe and how she prepares greens for winter soups is here. I make this soup also, we all enjoy it - but I figured since she'd already posted the recipe I would just direct you there. Thanks Diana.

1 comment:

  1. I have been enjoying my beet greens wilted with coarse salt and vinegar.

    I just give them a good rinse and put the wet leaves in a frying pan with a teensy bit of butter--I cover the pan and let it steam for just a minute or two. I then sprinkle with kosher salt and plain white vinegar.

    I also love Ukrainian beet buns, but I have never tried to make them.

    ReplyDelete